I met Lori Haller at an event, and was so inspired by her story that I invited her to come on the podcast. Lori is an extremely in-demand graphic designer whose studio has been creating award-winning, sales-generating direct mail, space advertising, online promotions and design for more than 20 years. Her clients include such prestigious names as Hyatt Hotels, Kay Jewelers, Forbes, The Motley Fool, Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Productions and National Geographic. Lori is also an in-demand speaker and trainer. Besides appearing throughout the United States, she has held sessions in Singapore, Germany and The Netherlands.
Here’s what we cover during episode 021:
- How Lori took a course early on in her career helped her get started
- How she got started freelancing in college and how she freelanced in evenings in weekends and it’s been non-stop ever since
- How she got work and jobs from top agencies and worked with prominent brands
- How she’s built relationships with advertising royalty by simply reaching out and letting people know that her business was open
- Why designers should go to events, always carry a business card, have a website set up to sell, and dress to impress
- Why she doesn’t say no to projects, even if someone wants them to do something for free, because each person you work for may know 10 people who could refer you more work
- Why designers can always stand out by being professional and being on time!
- Why she prefers to work and collaborate with people who are smarter than her
- How she gets hired to speak at events and train creative teams to look at their designs
- How she actually trains other designers and teams
- Why she’s always #1 in the equation and why she always gets proper rest and takes care of herself
- Tips for collaborating, keeping things elegant and why she demands to win
- Practicing keeping herself first, and why it’s okay to be ballsy
- Her advice for designers that’s so powerful you’ll definitely want to listen!!
Like what you heard?