We first met Joana Galvao in episode 9, and heard her whirlwind business story about how she went from pulling an all nighter to do her first sales page, to managing a team of 10 designers and developers at her agency in Porto, Portugal. Today we’re talking about her experience as a speaker and a guest on podcasts and how that’s helping her increase her perceived value.
Here’s what we cover during episode 025:
- How she got invited to speak at one of her client’s events and realized that half of her booked business in 2018 came from speaking
- She realized the power of being seen, and decided to explore it
- Why she recommends Michael Port’s books and speaking programs to help you get booked solid and tell your story
- How she spent most of 2017 and 2018 perfecting her speaking skills
- How visibility will help designers and how they can look for those speaking gigs
- How early on in her business “being seen” meant networking and going to events
- She was also very active in the B-School Facebook group by sharing her work
- What designers should do if they’re not booked solid yet
- Why she sees speaking as an avenue of increasing her perceived value and being top of mind for new prospects
- How she asked her current connections to introduce her to event organizers
- The story about how she got on stage at Traffic and Conversion Summit, the biggest marketing conference in North America
- Why it’s important to get noticed before you pitch an event organizer, media publication or podcast host
- Her theme for the year and what it means
- How she started using micro blogging on Instagram for her creative expression, and people started to notice
- What a conversation with a friend inspired her to do, and why she didn’t wait to get it done
- How she entered a contest to speak at Archangel Summit, an audience of 3,000 people and won
- Why it’s important to note that this was not an overnight thing, and how she put a desire out there, took action and made what she wanted happen
- Why building relationships and asking is what helping her get on the stages where she wants to be seen
- Her process for getting other opportunities for visibility
- Why the guidance of Selena Soo has helped her get noticed by major press
- How to craft a pitch to get your article published
- What’s next for Joana and why you should follow her on Instagram
- How designers can get clear on their visibility strategies
The Design Business Show Episode 009
Like what you heard?
Click here to subscribe + leave a review on iTunes.
Click here to join the free community!